vocabulary for travellers visiting German
city tour with student
Have you already had the embarrassment of travelling a country without knowing a word of the national language? Think about the completely new dimension of experiences that are available to a traveller when he can talk with the locals in their own language! Although most Germans can at make themselves clear with 'a few scraps' of a foreign language, usually English, French or Spanish, you will still benefit from being able to communicate in German. Here are a couple of tips for quick orientation:
Our latest news always on Facebook.com/sprachinstitut.treffpunkt.online
You will also find similar lists with standard words and sentences on the following pages:
Emergency help in a foreign country. Nervous that you may not be able to express yourself adequately? With these one page documents you will have the most important words and sentences at hand in case of an emergency (Acrobat pdf format)
Besides the classical travel literature a few online services are offering quick overviews about Germany. The information is thus often more up to date. Here are the most important sources in various languages:
- The independent and non-commercial site www.deutschland.de is organized by the German government and offers a collection of essential references to German information in 5 languages.
- www.germany-tourism.de: The German National Tourist Board (Deutsche Zentrale für Tourismus e.V. / DZT) with its portal for tourism in Germany
- On the website of the Federal Foreign Office there is not only information about entry into Germany, consular services and customs, but also an event diary
- Here are some of the best of the other references written in English:
- The Flag of Germany is www.flagpictures.com/country-flags/Germany/
Here we have listed some overviews - mostly with German comments only:
- Trainline is the leading train and bus ticketing company in Europe. Every day we make information about routes, fares and travel schedules available to our customers from 270 train and bus operators in 45 countries, so that everyone can buy tickets quickly, saving time and money and avoiding setbacks.
- events, sights
- city maps
- phone services, emergency numbers
- German airlines, car rental
- Tips for business professionals visiting Germany (book recommendation)
- Germany Travel Guide by German Places - Germany travel portal with information, sights, pictures and tips for tourists with destination Germany
- Gemut.com : Gemütlichkeit: The Travel Letter for Germany, Austria & Switzerland, is published 10 times a year, the only English-language publication devoted solely to travel in these three countries.
German / English
A lot of new interesting information appears on the Internet every day. Searches with (e.g.) yahoo.com can help you find these. Suggested search words include:
"travel languages"- - - "German for travellers" - - - "Reisewörterbuch" - - - "Reise Sprache" - - -
"Fremdsprache Reisen" - - - "foreign language" - - - "travel dictionary"...