Journalism in Germany
Part of the tuition for
advanced learners: working
with German newspapers
Journalism in Germany today has very different segments and orientations. Thus, it is often difficult to distinguish the "classical" journalism, that focuses on stories and reports, from other objectives such as public relations, marketing, advertising or pure entertainment. We can only list here a certain range of sources. Please note that most of the sources and references listed are in German only. If information is offered in foreign languages, it is often only a shortened text of the information in German.
Our latest news always on Facebook.com/sprachinstitut.treffpunkt.online
- A great listing of German newspapers provides the service Onlinenewspapers.com/germany.htm
- Paperball, is a search engine for German daily newspapers. It includes articles from more than 50 newspapers
- FAZ, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, one of the three biggest daily newspapers
- Süddeutsche Zeitung (SZ), another newspaper of the "big three", published in Munich
- Frankfurter Rundschau, the third of the big three, orientation: left-liberal; in contrast to Die Welt, right-liberal. Reputable is also the Tagesspiegel published in Berlin.
- Die Zeit, the reknowned weekly newspaper in Germany. Others, like DIE WOCHE, which were created after the German re-unification, unfortunately disappeared in the last years. Reputable is also Die Weltwoche, publised in Zurich, Switzerland
- Der Stern, one of the most popular weekly magazines in Germany. Similarly popular is Der Spiegel, but focused on more political articles and FOCUS, orientated on "pure facts" and short articles
- Bild der Wissenschaft, the German science magazine
- The most popular economic newspapers are Handelsblatt, published five times a week
- Wirtschaftswoche is a weekly economic magazine, also available as an ePaper.
Similarly popular are the monthly published magazines Capital, Manager Magazin and Impulse. A recommendable magazine with many tips for efficient office work, writing, organizing and networking is Working Office.
- An example for a typical local newspaper in Germany: the 'Fränkischer Tag' - published for our home town Bamberg and its region. Available also as an ePaper.
- A directory of a German newspapers de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_deutscher_Zeitungenand magazines de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_deutschsprachiger_Zeitschriften
- The Netzeitung.de, a subsidiary of the Norwegian success Nettavision.no. The publisher is the Internet service www.spray.net, which belongs to Lycos Europe.
- For all those who are interested in similar English speaking services, below are two popular addresses: www.slate.com (Microsoft/CNN) and www.salon.com.
- Sowieso.de - Das Online-Nachrichtenmagazin bietet wöchentlich aktuelle Informationen für junge Leser.
- Journalist - Germanys biggest media magazine for journalists
- The German journalist association : Deutscher Journalistenverband
- Journalistenlinks.de - news for journalists
- Links for journalists at www.mediasprut.ru and www.bellnet.de
- The biggest publisher of magazines in Europe: Verlag Gruner und Jahr (guj.de)
- Journalismdegree.org/media-law-ethics/ lists 100 sites dedicated to Media Ethics and Journalism. I found all the most fun and informative blogs covering press organizations & societies, ethics blogs & expert media law information, law resources and news articles that anyone within the industry would find useful. You can see the list at
- German publisher and bookshops in alphabetical order from the 'Freie Universität Berlin'. A similar source is available below www.buchhandel.de
- www.buch.de: multilingual user interface German, English, French, Italian, Spanish, and Dutch - more than 4 million international book titles available - fast delivery
- Great index of global newspapers on Websiteplanet.com/blog/complete-index-of-newspapers-across-the-globe/ This is a list that was updated in the past few days. I read a lot of similar guides before, but this one is quite thorough, and I've found it to be rather useful.
- need Essay Writing help and College essay
Do you know other online newspapers which we can add to our list? Please write to: email@example.com