Practical travel information for Germany
City maps, telephone service, emergency numbers
Climbing in Franconian Switzerland (Bavaria)
Compared to other countries, Germany is densely populated and has a diverse, mostly very well-developed infrastructure. Whether by car, by train, by bike or on foot while hiking: In most cases you will find within a few kilometers appropriate options for a secure, uncomplicated and entertaining traveling. For all who are not using nowadays a smartphone while traveling, here are some hints and tips:
Our latest news always on Facebook.com/sprachinstitut.treffpunkt.online
Privat-Online-Unterricht DEUTSCH 2023
Dein Erfolg beim Deutschlernen beginnt...
City maps online
If you are travelling to a new town and still don't have a navigation system in the car, you can find nearly every street in Germany with few clicks in the Internet. Here are a couple of tips:
- First have a look on the home page of the town to see if there is an online map available. Often you will find the latest and most complete road map here. Example: Our home town Bamberg has its map under www.bamberg.info/stadtplan/. Additionally you will find a lot tips about the city and its infrastructure.
- For online city map services in Germany look at the following addresses:
- Mappy.com with good detail, zoom function and PDA support
- At Maporama you can also download maps to your PDAs
- Stadtplan.net and Stadtplandienst.de.
- For cartographical products and purchase advice the service of Michael Ritz under www.landkartenindex.de is recommended.
- Just if you are planning a far journey, it is useful to use the city maps in combination with a route planner.
Phone number wanted
- The Deutsche Telekom ´s directory enquiry service offers advice in the telephone network (within Germany):
- for phone numbers in Germany : 11833 (alternative: 11881)
- for phone numbers in foreign countries : 11834
- in English language : 11837
- in Turkish language : 11836
- phone numbers in Germany : www.teleauskunft.de and www.dasoertliche.de
- phone numbers international : www.phonebuch.com
How can I make inexpensive phone calls in Germany?
- Simdiscount.de offers various mobile tariffs with no fixed contract term, which offer particular for guests from outside Germany during their stay in Germany favorable conditions.
- Phoning economical: Germany & international: www.simyo.de
- Which dialling prefixes give the cheapest calls at the moment? Find out at:
- Emergency or accident?
|Emergency service||phone number|
| Rescue service / ambulance |
|1 92 22|
| Air Ambulance |
|+ 49 711 - 70 10 70|
|Poisoning|| + 49 551 - 19 240 |
+ 49 551 - 38 31 80
| Car breakdown |
(-> also watch for the yellow columns on German motorways every few miles)
| ADAC: 0180 - 2 22 22 22 |
ACE: 0180 - 2 34 35 36
|Car insurance (central phone number)||+ 49 180 - 25026|
| "Reiseruf" |
(-> for calling somebody via radio in case of emergency or death)
|ADAC: 0180 - 5 10 11 12|
- Has your cell phone disappeared?
|Mobile Network||phone number|
|D1||+ 49 1803 - 30 22 02|
|D2 - Vodafone||+ 49 172 - 12 12|
|E-Plus||+ 49 177 - 10 00|
|O2||+ 49 800 - 55 222 55|
- You´ve lost your debit, credit or charge card?
|Card type||phone number|
|Visa|| + 49 69 - 79 20 13 33 |
900 974 445 (international)
|Mastercard|| + 49 69 - 75 76 10 00 |
900 971 231 (international)
|American Express||+ 49 69 - 97 97 40 00|
|ec cards||+ 49 1805 - 021 021|
|Eurocard|| + 49 69 - 79 33 19 10 |
001 - 31 42 75 66 90 (international)
|Diners Club|| + 49 69 - 26 03 50 |
0180 - 2 34 54 54 (international)
- Current topics about learning German and travel in Germany we publish frequently in our newsletter.
- The article "Practical Information for Visitors to Germany" with tips for emergencies you find on German Buisness Etiquette
- EasyTerra car hire compares car hire prices all over the world. Countries include Spain, Italy, France and Portugal. They guarantee the cheapest rates.
- Useful hints for travelling in Germany is to be found at car rental, hotels, airlines, trains and many tips for travelling in Germany (German page).
- You will find dictionaries for your trip on our page woerterbuch_en.
Have a nice trip :-)
We are pleased about your comment and suggestions.
Please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org