Television and Radio
- A good overview of the radio stations in Germany with the links and tips can be found webpage of Don Kalischer home.comcast.net/~dkalischer/WebRadio/GermanRadio.htm
- Mnay German radio stations are listed at: www.deutschland.fm
- German radio stations streaming live on the internet
- If you are looking for regional emissions then we recommend using a search engine and the appropriate keywords (e.g. "Radio Bamberg", "Rundfunk München", "TV Berlin"). You usually get good results from the German Meta-engine Lixam.de, a service of the university of Hannover.
- ARD or Das
Erste online and its regional transmitters: BR (Bayerischer
Rundfunk), DW (Deutsche
Welle), HR (
Hessischer Rundfunk), MDR (Mitteldeutscher
Rundfunk), NDR (Norddeutscher
Rundfunk), RB (Radio
Bremen), SR (Saarländischer
Rundfunk), SWR (Südwestfunk), SFB (Sender
Freies Berlin), SWF (Südwestfunk)
and WDR (Westdeutscher
For a look at the radio program, we recommend using www.yahoo.de. By taking a look at the Bavarian radio (Bayerischen Rundfunk), you get an idea of the most common program structure of the public radios in Germany:
- Bayern 1 (B1) - traditional chat, show and information station; emphasis of music program: German "Schlager"
- Bayern 2 (B2) - station with good quality in information, culture, educational and music
- Bayern 3 (B3) - street & travel news, service information and pop music
- Bayern 4 (B4) - around the clock classical music
- Bayern 5 (B5) - news station: brief, concise, up to date, but often repeated.
- Studio Franken - part time program of "Bayerischer Rundfunk" with selected information focused on northern bavaria (Franconia)
- ZDF - Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen
- OUR SPECIAL TIP: Many radio stations in Germany are still supported by the government. They are called "public service broadcasting" and everybody owning radio or televiosion sets has to pay fees. But this system doesn not just cost money, is delivers a very informative and varied program. As an example, we chose the station Bayern2Radio to take a closer look. One of its programs is called radioWissen and provides "the whole world of knowledge". There are hosts of different topics: history; literature and music; myths, people and religions; nature and the environment; current issues – all these are discusse. Useful for school, adult education and learners of German. And the best thing is that if you miss a story, you can listen to them again or download them from here:
- Kabel Kanal
- Kabel 1
- n-tv: main activities: political & economical news
- Volksmusik Hit Radio - 24 hours Live Radio - traditional German folk music
- Hoerzu.de tries to meet a maximum of informativity with the overview over its TV programme so the customer/viewer will not miss his or her favourite broadcast. With 12 TV channels on one page it is easy to compare and find the programme most favoured by oneself. Making the right choice becomes a lot easier.
- Gong Online - TV-sevice, entertainment, user tips, stars, advice, computer games, radio and radio service
- rtv-online - The latest information around TV in internet. The complete program of all network and cable channels in Germany. Daily prices.
- TV Movie online is the internet version of the TV and cinema magazine "TV Movie". Using the "TV-Butler" you can put together your personal tv program, cinema, video, CD, multimedia news, fun & action.
- TV Spielfilm - current TV program with the top films of the day
- TV Today - another popular German TV magazine
- Tele-Online - from Switzerland
For those learning German, we recommend especially the radio station Deutsche Welle, which can be got nearly all over the world and regularly puts together emissions especially for foreigners.
Tip: Ralf Vogelsang has put together an explanation of the world-wide radio programs on his page of the newsgroup soc.culture.german (in English).
You can find
a helping hand about regional stations and
specific themes with the German meta search engine Lixam.de.
Here are a couple of ideas for search terms:
"aktuelles Fernsehprogramm", "deutschsprachiges Radio", "deutsches Radio", "Hörfunkprogramm", "weltweite Radiosendungen", "Goethe Radio", "Radio deutsche Sprache"
Do you know other search engines which we can add to our list? Please write to: email@example.com